It's been a year since writer-director of Borrowed Time began pre-production on the project. Here we are with the film finally wrapped, a trailer fresh to release, and ready to give you a first look behind the scenes of our based-on-a-true story production.
A short drama based on true events, Borrowed Time tells the story of a sixteen year old during one of her life's most defining moments. A tale of loss and growth between three generations of women. The production is by a majority female crew, it was shot over three days just outside of London between Buckinghamshire, Bedford, and Hertford East. Encountering numerous issues, amongst which being rescheduled last minute due to Covid, our amazing producers pulled through along with an extremely hardworking crew. We are very excited to be introducing them.
“A short coming-of-age drama based on true events, Borrowed Time tells the story of a sixteen year old during one of her life's most defining moments. A tale of loss and growth between three generations of women ”
Introducing our cast below, leading actors Olivia Donati Clarke and Heléna Antonio. Along with our supporting cast: Suzanna Hamilton, Dean Kilbey, Roli Okorodudu, Victoria Geppetti and Christopher Hardcastle.
A sneak peek of some of our hardworking cast and crew making the magic happen on set. From top to bottom and left to right, DoP Jackie Teboul, 2nd AD Milagros de la Torre, 1st AD and co-producer Felicia Holst, sound recordist Stefania Fantini, writer-director-producer Ginevra Gentili, production designer Sally Somerville-Woodiwis and Gemma Taylor, continuity supervisor Leona Strattman, SFX make-up artist Teryne Philip, and boom operator Thanos Sarafis.
1. All the events in the story did really happen. Only character names, character backgrounds and part of the ending was changed.
2. The lead actor Olivia Donati Clarke has the same name as the lead character in the story, is British-Italian like the writer-director, both coming from Tuscany. A whole load of coincidences!
3. The production got rescheduled due to Covid 24 hours before beginning the shoot, losing more than a third of its crew and a member of cast, right in the middle of summer with most of the industry booked, the producers had to pull miracles to find new talent.
4. The production struggled to find a female stunt double, the double in the film is a male. Not only that, the footage shot with the double on the 3 days of shooting was not used as it did not cut with everything else. Instead, the director's partner doubled for some pick-up shots and that is the footage that was used in the film.
5. The crew is made up of more than 10 different nationalities, and is more than 90% female.
Borrowed Time is currently beginning festival submissions, lining up for interviews and content to give audiences an even more in-depth look behind the production and get to know the cast and crew who made it all happen.
Photography by Veronika Mills
Film Photography by Mila de la Torre